The rules of baccarat
Baccarat is one of the most popular casino games in the world. This is surely due to the ease of assimilation and understanding of how it works. Thanks to this factor, the game is attracting more and more players around the world. This is why we propose to explain to you the rules and subtleties of this game.
What is the purpose of the baccarat game?
The goal is not at all complicated, the dealer deals cards to the player and the banker, so there are two different draws. The draw that is closest to 9 and does not exceed 9 wins the game.
Our 5 best casinos to play baccarat online:
The different values of the cards
- The value of the cards varies between 2 and 9 depending on their face value.
- Cards with a face value (jacks, queens, and kings) have a value of 0.
- The Ace, which is a separate card, is worth 1
How does card counting work in baccarat?
As said in the previous point, each card has a specific value. The value of a hand is calculated by adding up the values of the cards dealt. In baccarat, there are no tens, so when the count rises above 9, the ten is removed to get only one number.
Let's go to an example to make it more meaningful: If a hand rolls a seven and an eight, we add those two cards together and we get a score of 15. Since we are over 9, we have to remove the ten to get the new score of the hand, which is therefore equal to 5.
How's the baccarat game going?
Baccarat is not a casino game like any other, you don't play against the dealer. It's weird, isn't it?
- First of all, you need to bet on one of the three positions you want to bet on: the player's hand, the banker's hand or the tie.
- After your bet has been accepted by the dealer, the dealer deals two cards to the player and the banker.
- After the two cards are added together, the dealer gives a value to each hand.
- The hand that is closest to 9 wins the game.
The drawing of the third card
Here's the subtlety that will add a little spice to the game. In some cases, depending on the score obtained, the dealer makes an extra draw.
Third card for the player
If the player has a score of less than 6, the dealer draws an extra card. This third card must then be added to the two cards that make up his starting hand, giving him a new hand score. Of course, the ten rule always applies, if the score contains a ten, the ten must be discarded to obtain the final value of the hand.
Third card for the banker
Drawing a third card for the banker is a little more subtle. Here are the situations in which the banker will or will not receive a third card on a case-by-case basis:
- The banker will receive a third card if its score is 0, 1, or 2.
- The banker will not receive a third card if its score is greater than or equal to 7.
- If the banker's score is between 3 and 6, a third card will be dealt to him based on the value of the third card dealt to the player (if a third draw was made for the player).
Baccarat: redistribution rates and payment reporting
Depending on the risk you take in baccarat betting, you will, of course, be paid according to that risk. Of course, you also have to add the commission that the casino takes on the game. So there are three possible outcomes depending on your bet:
- If you bet on the player's hand and you win, you win once you bet. If you bet €10, you win €20.
- If you bet on the banker's hand and win, you win once minus 5%. If you bet €10, you win €19.50.
- If you bet on a tie and win, you win eight times your bet. If you bet €10, you win €90.
You should also know that if there is a tie and you did not bet on the tie but on one of the hands, you will be refunded.
FAQ: Questions about baccarat
What's the origin of baccarat?
Baccarat was invented in Italy in the 1400s by a man named Felix Falguiere. He named the game "Baccarat", which means "zero" in Italian because every tenth and every face card had a value equal to zero.
What's the best hand in baccarat?
There is no best hand per se, but there is a "best" hand score. It is 9 and is calculated based on the cards that are dealt. For example: a 2 and a 7.
Is it possible to draw as many cards as you want?
No, a maximum of 3 cards can be dealt to each hand. Furthermore, you are not in any way responsible for deciding whether or not you draw a card. In fact, the player or the banker automatically gets an extra card depending on the situation.
Where to play online baccarat?
It is one of the oldest casino games, it is possible to play it in online casinos as well as in land-based casinos.
Looking for other similar news? Find all the latest news around the casino and gambling world
Ready to play with real money ?
We have selected a bunch of the best casinos you can find online where you can play this game using real money!
Play any slots for free
If you want to see what kind of other slots providers exists, you may check these one for sure!